Employment Documentation Can Protect Businesses
Importance of Employment documentation
As an employer, you should think of employment documentation as your history of an
employees’ relationship with your Company.
1. Accurate employment documentation allows decisions to be made with as much information as
possible. It also ensures that there is a lasting record of the reasons for termination
or disciplinary action, even if memories fade or the decisionmaker leaves the
2. Consistent documentation is essential for employers to properly evaluate their staff
and avoid liability connected with disciplining and terminating employees.
3. Employers must ensure employment documentation is Current (a job description from 10
years ago is of little use if the job has evolved over the years). Therefore,
Employers must ensure documents are maintained and regularly updated to be able
to be used in a meaningful way.
4. Finally, employment documentation allows employers to be more consistent in their decision
making, thereby reducing the risk of perceptions of favouritism or discrimination.
Employment documentation includes, but not limited to:
1. Pre-employment scenario
Application forms, monitoring forms
Records of Reference checks
2. During employment, includes, but is not limited to:
Induction and training records
Receipts for policies/handbooks
Performance appraisals – documenting gaps in performance, objectives, etc.
Disciplinary action – absenteeism, violation of policies and procedures.
Return to work interviews
Holiday request forms, dated and authorized
Flexible working requests
Records of conversations
All of this employment documentation if used and signed, is up to date and accurate and will help protect your organization going forward.
Send us a message
Please fill out your details below and a member of our team will get in touch with you.