Equality & Diversity
Equality & Diversity in the workplace
Equality is about ensuring everyone has an equal opportunity and is not treated differently
or discriminated against on the grounds of
- Religion or religious beliefs
- Sexual orientation
- Race including the persons colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin
- Pregnant or absent due to maternity leave
- Marital status
- Gender reassignment
Diversity is about recognising differences and about valuing everyone in the organisation as
an individual, and the workforce being representative of the organisation’s customers.
This culture should be based on the belief that everyone should have a right to equal access
to employment, training and development based solely on merit. Everyone should have
the right to be free of any direct or indirect discrimination and harassment or bullying.
It’s important for employers to be aware that Discrimination can:
- Impact on an individual’s wellbeing, performance at work and intention to stay with the company.
- Adversely affect employment opportunities.
- Result in failure to recognise skills-based abilities, potential and experience.
- Result in significant legal costs, compensation and settlements paid to avoid
defending expensive discrimination claims.
Employers should remember that managing diversity and developing a culture of inclusion is a continuous process of improvement, not just a one-off initiative.
While specific responsibility for eliminating discrimination and providing equality of
opportunity lies with managers and supervisors, individuals at all levels have a responsibility
to treat others with dignity and resp
Contact HR Consultants
Please fill out your details below and a member of our team will get in touch with you.